One Source The Background Check Company (One Source)
What information is collected
One Source collects two types of information: personally identifiable information and non-personally identifiable information. Personally identifiable information (PII) is any information that can identify you, such as your name, address, and IP address. It does not include statistical information. Based on your relationship with us, you may be asked to provide certain PII.
Why information is collected and with whom it is shared
One Source obtains most information for the purposes of background screening an individual consumer. The background screening is only done upon the request of a user who has a permissible purpose under the FCRA (Fair Credit Reporting Act) to request information on that consumer. In cases of employment as a permissible purpose, the FCRA requires a user to certify to One Source that it has obtained the written consent of the consumer to request information before One Source can supply the requested information.* The user must submit to reasonable audits by One Source to confirm that it is, in fact, obtaining such consents.
One Source does not maintain a commercial database of consumer information for the purposes of background screening.
Below are additional scenarios when PII or non PII might be requested:
- Online questions or requests (which may be collected through our Website or offline). When you are requesting materials or information from One Source, we may collect your name, job title, address, email address, phone number, IP address, company name, country/state of residence, photocopy of your ID and other PII, as well as professional interests and the reasons why you are requesting the One Source services or products.
- Job Applicants. When you apply for employment with One Source we will collect your name, email address, country of residence, physical address, cell phone number and any information you include in your resume which you upload through the Website or any recruiting website.
- Employment Screening Client Login. When you use the client log-in portal for background checks or drug testing, you will be sent to our vendors’ system and webpage where they will collect login information such as account, username and/or password in order to access your account and perform the requested services.
- Background Screening Services (which may be collected through our Website or offline).When your employer or landlord requests a background check, One Source may collect your PII both online and offline to process the request.
- Blog, Insights, and Newsletters. When you subscribe to our communications, we will collect your email address.
- Billing Information (which may be collected through our Website or offline). If you purchase our services you may need to provide One Source with payment and billing information, such as your credit card details and billing address.
When you visit our Website, we may collect and store general Internet data, such as your domain name, browser type, device, date and time of access, which of our web pages you visited, the referring Uniform Resource Locator (URL) and how long you spend on each page. This information is considered non-personally identifiable information. The information may be collected to assist us in making improvements to our Website and to administer our Website. We do not link this information to any PII. One Source may employ third party companies and individuals to facilitate these services (e.g., maintenance, analysis, audit, development). These third parties have limited access to your information and only to perform these services or tasks on our behalf.
One Source may disclose information we collect through this Website:
- To respond to your inquiries, process requests or otherwise correspond with you regarding employment programs or services; or any other permissible purposes for background checks;
- To complete a transaction that you request through our Website;
- To complete a transaction requested by a third party for background screening purposes;
- To government agencies or One Source’s suppliers or vendors in order to conduct background investigations as requested by your employer or landlord;
- When required by law, subpoena or other legal process, when pertinent to judicial or governmental investigations or proceedings;
- When necessary to investigate, take action or prevent suspected or actual illegal activities, fraud, or potential threats to safety or personal physical safety; and,
Any information gathered on any consumer may only be provided to the end user authorized by the consumer to receive the information. One Source does not share, sell or distribute consumer information with or to any third-party other than the requesting party thereof. Any consumer, upon proper identification, has the right under the FCRA to request One Source to furnish to the consumer any and all information it may have on that consumer. The consumer has the right to dispute the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in the consumer’s report or file. The consumer’s rights under the FCRA may be obtained by contacting us or going to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau’s website at: https://onesourcebackground.com/wp-content/uploads/Summary-of-Rights-FCRA.pdf
How we use the personal information we collect
Our primary purpose in collecting personal information is to provide you with a safe, smooth, efficient, and customized experience. Personal Information such as date of birth and social security number is never shared unless required to verify a record and then is only shared once the vendor has been fully vetted. We may use your personal information to:
- Provide the services and customer support you request by conducting pre-employment background checks and tenant screening services as requested by customers of background check reports such as employers and landlords;
- Process requests and send notices about your requests;
- Respond to your inquiries or otherwise correspond with you regarding employment, supplier affiliations, programs or services;
- Resolve disputes and troubleshoot problems;
- Process billing, invoice and payment functions when you use One Source services;
- Prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities, and enforce our User Agreement;
- Customize, measure, and improve our services and the content and layout of our website;
- Enroll you if you signed up to receive One Source updates, free subscriptions or blog postings;
- Send you targeted marketing, service update notices, and promotional offers based on your communication preferences;
- Compare information for accuracy and verify it with third parties.
Cookies – Google Analytics
The only cookies in use on our site are for Google Analytics. Google Analytics is a web analytics tool that helps website owners understand how visitors engage with their website. Google Analytics customers can view a variety of reports about how visitors interact with their website so that they can improve it.
Like many services, Google Analytics uses first-party cookies to track visitor interactions as in our case, where they are used to collect information about how visitors use our site. We then use the information to compile reports and to help us improve our site.
Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer’s hard drive. These cookies are used to store information, such as the time that the current visit occurred, whether the visitor has been to the site before and what site referred the visitor to the web page.
We may collect information about your computer, including your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and in order to create reports. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
Google Analytics collects information anonymously. It reports website trends without identifying individual visitors. You can opt out of Google Analytics without affecting how you visit our site – for more information on opting out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites you use, visit this Google page.
How Information is Secured
One Source strives to protect personal information that we collect, maintain and disclose through the use of appropriate and reasonable administrative, physical and technical safeguards. For instance,
- Access to confidential consumer PII is limited within One Source to those who have a need to know the information, which are:
- those obtaining and transmitting information on the consumer;
- those dealing with a consumer request for information;
- and those handling consumer disputes.
- Access to One Source’s computer terminals, file cabinets, fax machines, trash bins, desktops, etc. are secure from unauthorized access.
- One Source maintains a secure network to safeguard consumer information from internal and external threat. One Source security measures include internal and external firewalls, physical security and technological security measures, as well as encryption of certain information and password protection for account information.
- Any backup data is maintained in an encrypted form.
- One Source maintains records of each individual submitting a new report request on a consumer.
- One Source identifies each end user who is requesting information on a consumer. End users are verified as an authorized user prior to One Source releasing any consumer information.
- One Source employees are prohibited from “browsing” files or databases without a business justification.
- Destruction of consumer information follows the Federal Trade Commission’s requirements that the information be unreadable upon disposal.
In the course of business, One Source may collect or ask that you disclose your Social Security Number. To the extent practicable, One Source protects the confidentiality of all information we collect, including Social Security Numbers. Accordingly, we prohibit the unlawful disclosure of personal information, including Social Security Numbers, and limit access to same. We dispose of such information by taking reasonable measures to protect against unauthorized access to or use of the information.
One Source retains personal information as needed to provide you services or product information, respond to inquiries, consider your employment application, partner with you, or as required by contractual, statutory or other legal obligations.
One Source does not offer services to children under the age of 13, and this Website is not directed to children under the age of 13. One Source does not knowingly collect information about children under the age of 13.
Personal Information Disclosure
U.S. based employment candidates: With the exception of limited Personal Information that must be provided to out-of-country court researchers, employers, or educational institutions in order to complete a background check or drug test in, or for that specific country, One Source does not transfer personally identifiable information outside the United States.
Employment candidates based outside the United States: One Source operates out of a centralized processing facility in Omaha, Nebraska. Consumer data flows into the United States when an employer or consumer provides data to One Source required to conduct a background check. One Source processes background checks only with the written, unambiguous consent from the individual subject to our inquiries.
One Source The Background Check Company
Compliance and Privacy Division – Attn: Felica Hazuka
PO Box 24148
Omaha, NE 68124
How we update or implement changes to this policy
*There is an exception for employer investigations of suspected employee misconduct or for compliance with law or employer policies, e.g., sexual harassment investigations.